CLEP — College-Level Examination Program. This test, developed by the College Board, allows students to receive college credit for previous school work or experience.

Credit / Non-Credit — A distinction between college courses which determines whether the student can earn credits toward a degree by completing the course. Also used in reference to the students enrolled in either type of course.

CSCU — Connecticut State Colleges & Universities. This organization oversees the transfer agreements between colleges in the state which allow credits from 2-year colleges to be applied to 4-year degree programs.

DSST — This test, called only by its initials but originally named the DANTES Subject Standardized Tests, is a credit-by-examination test by which students may earn college credits.

Dual Enrollment — Sometimes called Concurrent Enrollment. A program that allows students to begin building college credits while still enrolled in high school.

Expected Family Contribution (EFC) — A determination of the federal student aid application process which indicates how much the applicant and her family is expected to contribute toward college tuition.

FAFSA —  Free Application for Federal Student Aid. The first step in qualifying for other forms of federal and state financial aid.

FSEOG — Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant. A federal educational grant for college students who document significant financial need.

GED — General Education Development or General Education Diploma. The GED is an internationally recognized test that serves as the equivalent of a high school diploma in the college admissions process.

NEBHE —  New England Board of Higher Education. This organization runs programs that, in some circumstances, allow residents of one New England state to attend colleges in another without paying out-of-state tuition.

Pell Grant — A needs-based federal education grant that the student does not need to repay.

PLUS — Parents’ Loan for Undergraduate Students. An additional provision of federal financial aid by which parents of a dependent child can take an educational loan in their name, rather than the student’s.

Stafford Loans — The most common type of federal student loan.