What is an EKG Technician?
EKG Technicians are responsible for performing electrocardiogram (EKG) tests in order to monitor and record electrical impulses transmitted by the heart. These tests include basic EKGs, Holter Monitoring (portable EKG which records activity for 24-48 hours.), 12-lead placement, and Stress Tests (treadmill). They assist a physician in diagnosing and treating cardiac and blood vessel irregularities.
This 40-hour course will include important practice and background information on the following:
- Anatomy and physiology of the heart
- Medical disease processes
- Medical terminology
- Medical Ethics
- Legal aspects of patient contact
- The Holter monitor
Additionally, students will practice with equipment and perform hands-on labs including introduction to the function and proper use of the EKG machine, the normal anatomy of the chest wall for a proper lead placement, 12-lead placement, and other clinical practices.
This course prepares you to take the national certification exam issued by the National Healthcare Association (NHA). Students will be notified of how to register for this exam. EKG exam fee not included. The cost of the exam is $125.00.
A final grade of 70 (C-) or higher is required to pass this course.
NOTE: Background checks are required for most allied health positions. Students with felony convictions may have difficulty obtaining employment in these fields.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- High school completion or equivalent (foreign students must provide a notarized English-translated transcript) Students will need to upload high school completion to NHA website in order to sit for the national exam.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
Fall 2023- CRN# 80481
- Instructor: Tanya Lutyen
- Dates: 10/23/23-12/13/23
- Day/Time: Monday and Wednesday; 5:30 p.m.-7:30 p.m.
- Location: Room B120
- Cost: $999, textbook included * Students will receive textbooks on the first day of class.
- Registration deadline: 10/16/23
To register for this course, please visit our Workforce Registration Page. You’ll find directions on how to register, along with information about information sessions with Workforce advisors, funding sources for financing your tuition, refund policies, and more.
Please Note: It is mandatory that you provide all necessary forms with your registration. A seat will not be held until all of your documentation and payment are received.