Free Tuition!

Free Community College!

Free CollegeIf you are starting college this fall as a first-time college student …

then you might be eligible for free tuition through PACT. To qualify for the program, you must apply, register for 6 credits or more, and fill out the FAFSA.

Or, if you are returning and received PACT last year …

then you continue to be eligible for free tuition through PACT. However, you must register for classes and fill out the FAFSA by as soon as possible for the fall semester and by November 15 for the spring semester.

PACT is the Pledge to Advance Connecticut. It will allow eligible Connecticut residents to earn a degree or certificate from a community college without taking on debt. PACT provides financial support for first-time students who meet the qualifications. The program covers tuition and fees for full time students for 36 months or a maximum of 72 credits earned within that time, and for part time students for 48 months or a maximum of 72 credits earned within that time.


There is a diverse community of students at TRCC and not everyone will qualify for PACT. If you do not qualify for PACT there are still multiple forms of assistance that students can receive such as financial aid and scholarships as well as support from the Three Rivers College Foundation.

To have your tuition and fees covered by the PACT program you must meet the following requirements:

  • Live in the State of Connecticut
  • Be a Connecticut high school, GED program, or home school program graduate
  • Attend college for the first time (transfer & re-admission students do not qualify) OR be a returning student who received PACT last year
  • Fill out FAFSA and accept all available financial aid each year. This financial aid package is available on a first-come/first-serve basis until funds run out. There is no separate application for PACT.  The financial aid office will automatically determine a student’s eligibility and award based on the program criteria. 
  • Apply to Three Rivers Community College or another Connecticut Community College if you are a new student
  • Register in a credit degree or certificate program  
  • Enroll in at least 6 credits
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress to keep PACT funding

At this time, PACT does not cover the following:

  • Students currently enrolled in a Connecticut Community College or other higher education institution who did not receive PACT last year
  • Students that have previously earned a college degree

All students are encouraged to apply for financial aid and scholarships as well as scholarships through the TRC Foundation.

High school graduates who will be first-time college students must enroll and register in the Fall 2022 semester. If you have earned college credit in high school through a dual enrollment program you still qualify for PACT.

PACT is not need-based, but it is required that all students apply for Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA) for every year that you attend TRCC, and you must meet satisfactory academic progress to remain eligible.

If you are disclosing a disability through TRCC Disability Services/Accommodations, you can qualify for PACT.

You must work with the disability coordinator and your academic advisor to determine the maximum number of credit hours feasible.

Veterans can receive PACT funding and must adhere to enrollment and registration deadlines and student status information.

Documented military deployment may be considered (must re-enroll within four years of discharge).